Deep clean your indoor and outdoor coils no less than once a year for the best results this summer. While it’s best to schedule professional HVAC maintenance and cleaning twice a year, we recommend more frequent condenser coil cleanings. The condenser coil is also known as the “outdoor coil” because it is located in the HVAC box/cabinet located on the side of your building. It is vital to the functioning and efficiency of your heating and cooling system. Cleaning your outdoor condenser coils does require a bunch of steps so we wanted to show you just so you see why it would be easier just to have a inexpensive maintenance agreement with us.
What we need to start your project…
- Mild soap
- Adjustable hose nozzle
- Protective gloves
If you’re looking to decrease your utility bills while increasing energy efficiency and indoor comfort, a good coil cleaning will do the trick.
Prep Your Heat Pump
Most residential air conditioning systems are “split systems,” using an indoor coil and outdoor coil to cool your home. The cleaner the condenser coil, the more effective the heat transfer. Since the outdoor unit is exposed to elements, it requires more frequent cleanings. When your outdoor coil is clogged with leaves, dirt, grass clippings, and grime, the fan has to work harder and longer to dispel the heat. This is what we do to prep your heat pump…
- We disconnect your heat pump and your air conditioning system from your home’s electrical supply
- We remove the condensing unit’s cover
- Once the condensing unit’s cover has been successfully removed, we set it down in a safe place for the duration of the cleaning process
We Then Begin Cleaning Your Coils
- We make a cleaning solution of warm water and a mild brand of soap
- We apply the solution to your coils with the aid of a sponge or washcloth
- We rinse off the soapy coils with a hose
- We make sure the water pressure isn’t set too high, as high water pressure it liable to bend your heat pump’s heat-exchange fins
- We wear an extra-thick pair of protective gloves and proceed to manually remove any large pieces of debris from the vicinity of your heating pump coils
- We use a hose to give your heat pump coils one last vigorous rinsing
- Once your final rinsing has been carried out, we allow your heat pump coils and the surrounding area to have ample time to air dry
- When the coils have fully dried, we reattach your condensing unit’s cover and then restore power to your heat pump
- If all went according to plan, your freshly cleaned heat pump coils should operate at maximum efficiency
Statistics and Facts on Dirty Condenser Coils
As reported by Southern California Edison dirty condenser coils…
- Degrade cooling capacity by as much as 40%
- Increase condenser fan by as much as 30%
- Increase compressor power by as much as 70%
- Reduce energy efficiency (EER) by as much as 60%
- Increase supply air temperature by about 5°F
According to the U. S. Department of Energy, “a dirty condenser coil can increase compressor energy consumption by 30%.” With this increase in energy consumption comes an increase in supply air temperature, by around 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Other studies, including one from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, prove that regular coil cleanings (inside and outside) will improve energy efficiency and IAQ performance by 10-15%.
Phoenix Comfort’s planned maintenance programs keep your central heating and air conditioning systems from losing their efficiency over time and becoming more and more expensive to operate.
Air Conditioning and Heating Systems require regular maintenance and service.
Without periodic maintenance, equipment failures and energy consumption waste is much more likely.
Our maintenance agreements provide manufacturers’ recommended maintenance procedures to your heating and air conditioning systems. We come out for a planned annual or semi-annual inspection and tune-up service that is designed to meet or exceed all manufacturer and extended-warranty requirements, and adheres to recommended procedures outlined by the Department of Energy and local utility companies.
Improving the Health of Your HVAC System and Saving You Money
- Inspection and tune-ups allow us to find and fix minor issues before they can become larger issues.
- You will receive 15% discounts on all repairs.
- Tune-ups on your heating and air conditioning systems will improve your comfort and save you up to 50% on your energy costs.
- If a repair of ours fails during that season, we will repair it again at no charge.
- We keep track of your inspection and tune-up schedule and will contact you to schedule the appointments.
- You receive priority service and are moved to the top of the service list if your system is having problems.
Contact us (859-918-5400) for a Free Consultation!
About Phoenix Comfort Systems
Phoenix Comfort provides a full range of air conditioning and heating repair, installation, and maintenance services for residential and commercial customers. We keep your air conditioning and heating systems in their best condition and ready to go when you need them most, following the industry’s “best practice” methods and standards. Phoenix Comfort carries a full line of quiet, energy-efficient air conditioning and heating equipment.
>> Learn More